The beautiful sea of Catania, close to the BW Hotel Mediterraneo
The 70 km of the Catania’s coast are very different and you can choose between the lava cliffs and the 9 km white sandy ones south of the port.
Taka e look at the Best Western Hotel Mediterraneo offers a range of deals for your stay in Catania thanks to which you can discover the coast of Catania in an easy and economical way!
Marvels from the sea
- The mouth of Simeto, with its natural lakes, its bends, its marshes, is home to protected migratory and sedentary birds and surely one of the most picturesque areas. The landscape is pristine, with long stretches of golden sand dunes and sea-clear.
- A few meters far from the shoreline you can see old fishermen, immersed to the trunk, while probing with ingegnu (a triangle rake with a network) to the shallow water looking for mussels. The back overlooks the green area of the grove Plaja .
- The sandy beach ends at the port of Catania, from where the lava cliff starts.
- After the giant black lava stone smoothed by the sea (example of industrial archeology and homage to the sea and Mount Etna) you can see bathing beaches on the rocks that from Europe Square lead to the San Giovanni Li Cuti, an old fishing village with a beach of black sand and pebbles of lava rocks.
- After the black cliff of Rotol here is the fishing village of Ognina, once the natural harbor of Catania, whose sea fed a type of algae that appealed as bait, shrimp crackers and imperial brown.
- From Ognina we can see the castle of Aci, a Norman fortress built in 1076 on a rock overlooking the sea.
By Castielli (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 or GFDL], via Wikimedia Commons